Publicado: Mar, Octubre 02, 2018
Salud | Por Gertrudes Rodriquez

Man dies from 'brain-eating amoeba' after visiting Texas surf resort

Man dies from 'brain-eating amoeba' after visiting Texas surf resort

The investigation follows the tragic death of New Jersey surfer Fabrizio "Fab" Stabile, who passed away from an infection caused by the amoeba shortly after surfing BSR's wavepool.

"Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends and the New Jersey surf community during this hard time", Parsons said.

The individual who died has been identified as 29 year-old Fabrizio Stabile of Ventnor.

The Waco McLennan County Public Health District said that the CDC tested water at BSR and that results from the test would come out later this week.

Tests came back on September 20, showing Stabile tested positive for Naegleria fowleri, an amoeba that typically occurs in warm fresh water and that had caused a rare infection.

It remains unclear when exactly Stabile visited the park, but infection symptoms from the parasite typically flare up between one and nine days after contact. The CDC notes that, on average, death occurs within one to 18 days of initial symptoms.

Baila Diego Maradona triunfo de Dorados de Sinaloa
Por si fuera poco, Vinicio Angulo puso el 2-0 en el marcador en una jugada personal en la que picó el esférico a López para poner la cereza en el pastel.

Park owner Stuart Parsons told the Waco Tribune-Herald that the facility closed for testing Friday, and that Stabile had only used its wave pool during his visit at an unspecified date.

'BSR Surf Resort operates a state of the art artificial man-made wave.

'We are in compliance with the CDC guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri'.

"The worst-case scenario was unfolding in front of our eyes as we learned that this infection results in a 98% fatality rate", the GoFundMe page said.

Stabille's cerebrospinal fluid tested positive for the infection, but it was too late to administer the drug, according to the GoFundMe Page. The amoeba is only contracted through the nose, once it enters the nose it travels to the brain where it causes primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), which is usually fatal. Most infections occur from exposure to contaminated recreational water.

Me gusta esto: