Publicado: Jue, Agosto 02, 2018
Salud | Por Gertrudes Rodriquez

An infection from a dog lick cost a man his limbs

An infection from a dog lick cost a man his limbs

The infection caused Greg's blood pressure to massively drop, which meant that the circulation was cut off and eventually led to the loss of his legs.

In just a few days, the bacteria spread and Manteufel was fighting for his life.

In late June, Manteufel fell ill and within "hours of the onset of symptoms, Greg's body started to go into septic shock". Now, after losing both legs and parts of both hands as well as his nose, Manteufel faces a long road to recovery and rehabilitation.

Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, an infectious disease specialist with Froedtert and the Medical College of Wisconsin, told the station: "This type of bacteria comes from the saliva of dogs".

"It hit him with a vengeance". Once they arrived, Dawn Manteufel said she noticed bruises - several of them, all over his body - that weren't there when they left their house just five minutes earlier.

The bacteria can be transmitted to humans through bites, licks, or even close proximity with the animal - seeping into the skin even without a cut or scrape. Possibly. If you own a cat or dog be aware that Capnocytophaga Canimorsus is a normal bacteria that grows in the mouth of up to 60% of dogs and 17% of cats.

Cocodrilo le muerde la mano a domador — Video sensible
Pese a lo sucedido, aseguró que el domador ama a los cocodrilos y que en las próximas dos semanas volverá a su trabajo. La persona que grabó el video aclaró que el espectáculo estuvo "muy bueno hasta que el cocodrilo atacó a Tao".

Capnocytophaga can cause opportunistic infections, meaning they have to have the right conditions to cause an infection, such as when a person has a weakened immune system.

But in exceedingly rare circumstances, that lick can lead to a risky and potentially lethal infection from a common bacteria.

In 2016, doctors in London documented the case of a 70-year-old woman who had been infected with Capnocytophaga. "Surprisingly enough, they did do it", Dawn Manteufel said. "More than 99 percent of the people that have dogs will never have this issue", Munoz-Price said. It's not clear which dog was carrying the bacteria.

"Most people who have contact with a dog or cat do not become sick", the CDC's website states. "But this is unusual because it was a lick", said Farber, who was not involved in the woman's case.

Dog bites are known to cause extreme medical problems, but we don't often worry about affectionate gestures like licks.

Infection can usually be treated effectively with antibiotics and is recommended for a minimum of three weeks.

Me gusta esto: