Publicado: Sol, Julio 22, 2018
Salud | Por Gertrudes Rodriquez

Florida man dies from infection after eating bad oyster

Florida man dies from infection after eating bad oyster

A 71 year old man has died due to contracting a bacterial infection after eating raw oysters at a restaurant in Florida, said the health officials. Of the 80,000 illnesses caused by vibriosis each year, about 52,000 of them were a result of eating contaminated food, according to the CDC.

Flesh-eating bacteria Vibrio vulnificus is often located in the shellfish. The report also stated that the man had underlying medical issues.

The department did not disclose the name of the establishment where the man got the oysters from.

Skin lesions caused by Vibrio vulnificus bacteria after Hurricane Katrina.

Vibrio vulnificus is a naturally occurring bacteria in warm, salty or brackish water so it is present year-round in Florida. The bacterium usually thrives in warm and blackish sea water.

The Florida Department of Health is urging Floridians with certain health conditions to avoid eating raw oysters. This media house does not correct any spelling or grammatical error within press releases and commentaries.

Donald Trump 'ready' to impose tariffs on all Chinese goods
In particular, the Fed's most recent rate hikes could dilute some of the benefit of the tax cuts Trump signed into law past year . BMW's largest factory was, she pointed out, not in Germany but in Spartanburg, South Carolina. "I'm not thrilled", he said.

Oysters, clams, and mussels need to be cooked thoroughly since infection may be contracted through consumption of undercooked shellfish.

Eating seafood or taking a swim in the water may seem like an essential summertime pastime, but you should be careful of the bacteria Vibrio vulnificus, which pops up more with the heat.

Florida's health department reports that there have been 16 cases of Vibriosis in the state this year and three patients have died. Typical symptoms for the infection include fever, diarrhea, and vomiting, but in rare cases, the bacteria can become a "flesh-eating disease".

Others who should avoid consuming raw shellfish are those with hemochromatosis (iron overload), diabetes, cancer, stomach disorders or any illness or treatment that weakens the immune system.

This is the first confirmed case of the Vibrio bacteria this year in Sarasota, according to Florida Health. In 2016, there were 46 confirmed cases statewide and 10 fatalities.

Me gusta esto: